Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Hajj

I kept on asking myself the question "Why did I go on a pilgrimage?" I have a separate post on this one.

Why do others go on a pilgrimage?

Saw the news and what got my attention? The Hajj this November 2010.

The Hajj is a pilgrimage that occurs during the Islamic month of Dhu al-Hijjah to the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia, and derives from an ancient Arab practice.

It is currently the largest annual pilgrimage in the world, and is a religious duty that must be carried out at least once in their lifetime by every able-bodied Muslim who can afford to do so.

When the pilgrim is around 10 km (6.2 mi) from Mecca, he must dress in Ihram clothing, which consists of two white sheets.

Both men and women are required to make the pilgrimage to Mecca. After a Muslim makes the trip to Mecca, he/she is known as a hajji/hajja (one who made the pilgrimage to Mecca).

The main rituals of the Hajj include walking counter-clockwise seven times around the Kaaba ( the cube-shaped building which acts as the Muslim direction of ker), touching the Black Stone, traveling seven times (back and forth) between Mount Safa and Mount Marwah, drinking from the Zamzam Well, going to the plains of Mount Arafat to stand in vigil, and throwing stones in a ritual known as Stoning of the Devil in Mina.

A pilgrimage made at any time other than the Hajj season is called an Umrah.

The pilgrims then shave their heads, perform a ritual of animal sacrifice, and celebrate the three day global festival of Eid al-Adha.

According to the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, the number of foreign pilgrims in Saudi Arabia for the Hajj was 1 M in 1996 and 4 M (Umrah only) in 2010.

Source: Wikipedia

For us Catholics, we have our own reasons as well.

I did for healing, physically and spiritually.

Christian Pilgrimage Sites

Top Philippine Pilgrimage Sites

My Marian Pilgrimage

I can learn from others. I have trained to open my heart that I may receive whatever God has to give, claiming all blessings through His Mighty Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment